[PROJ] Swiss geoid file (now free)

Elmar.Brockmann at swisstopo.ch Elmar.Brockmann at swisstopo.ch
Mon Mar 1 23:53:33 PST 2021

Dear colleagues

Indeed, the CHENYX06 grids we provide use CC0: " A NTV2 grid data set for transforming to ETRS or to LV95 is distributed in our Shop under open data licence Creative Commons CC0." (https://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/en/knowledge-facts/surveying-geodesy/reference-frames/transformations-position.html )

Yesterday, March 1, swisstopo announces officially a wide data set as Open Government Data (OGD). Now, also all areal images, digital maps are open and can freely be used for private and commercial applications. The Geoid CHGeo2004 is also included. Further details: https://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/en/swisstopo/free-geodata.html

The FAQs state under licence conditions:  The use of Creative Commons licences, as they are commonly and widely used today, is not compatible with the legal basis (GeoIG, GeoIV). swisstopo geodata is supplied with conditions of use which comply with the legal basis. The conditions of use allow free use for all purposes and oblige the user to indicate the source as "Source: Federal Office of Topography swisstopo" or "© swisstopo".

If it helps, we can assign a CC0 licence to the geoid grids.
Best regards

Elmar Brockmann