[PROJ] Describing custom vertical datums in wkt

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Mar 26 09:58:14 PDT 2021

Eric,

Besides a few minor issues in the below WKT (use of single quotes, or
non-ASCII double quote characters), more fundamental remarks:

- I don't think DerivedVerticalCRS is the appropriate modeling.
http://docs.opengeospatial.org/is/18-010r7/18-010r7.html in §3.1.14
mentions: "A derived coordinate reference system inherits its datum or
reference frame from its base coordinate reference system.", so you
can't have the derived CRS having VDATUM["NOAA Chart Datum"] and the
base CRS VDATUM["NAD83(2011) Height"]. And if you look at the grammar at
http://docs.opengeospatial.org/is/18-010r7/18-010r7.html#120, VDATUM[]
is not allowed for the derived vertical CRS, and when PROJ re-exports to
WKT2 this definition, it will omit it.

- One could question too if the derivation is a conversion. §14.2.1
mentions "Because by definition coordinate conversions are exact, the
attribute operation accuracy is not relevant and excluded from the
deriving conversion WKT string". Using grids is probably a big unusual
to define a conversion

- you can't use EPSG:6319 that is the Geographic 3D CRS as a (base)
vertical CRS. Ellipsoidal heights in ISO-19111 can't exist as standalone
vertical CRS. They must be associated with the horizontal coordinates.

- the proper model would probably be to define a NOAA Chart Datum
vertical datum and vertical CRS, and define a transformation between
EPSG:6319 and the NOAA Chart Datum vertical CRS. You could reference
that transformation in a GEOIDMODEL[] node attached as a child of the
VERTCRS[].

- besides importing/exporting/querying the attributes, PROJ will not be
able currently to do anything useful (ie compute a PROJ pipeline between
that and another vertical CRS) with a derived projected CRS.

Even