[PROJ] Point not within available datum shift grids

Lesparre, Jochem Jochem.Lesparre at kadaster.nl
Tue Mar 30 01:24:21 PDT 2021

Hi list members,

I have a transformation pipeline with a horizontal and a vertical grid shift file. For a point outside both grids, I want the horizontal component to apply a zero shift and the vertical component to return a no data value. I had this working in PROJ 6, but I don't get it working in PROJ 7 or 8. For points outside the vertical grid area, I get: "TRANSFORMATION ERROR: 52 9 0 (point not within available datum shift grids)". Is there a way to get horizontal coordinates outside the vertical grid area without getting a height value? I was thinking that I could create a nodata.tif covering the entire world, but I hope there is a more elegant way to make the PROJ pipeline (see below) for the national CRS of the Netherlands give the results recommended by the national authorities.

Regards, Jochem

cct +proj=pipeline
+step +proj=unitconvert +xy_in=deg +z_in=m +xy_out=rad +z_out=m
+step +proj=axisswap +order=2,1,3,4
+step +proj=vgridshift +grids=nlgeo2018.gtx
+step +proj=push +v_3
+step +proj=set +v_3=43 +omit_inv
+step +proj=cart +ellps=GRS80
+step +proj=helmert +x=-565.7346 +y=-50.4058 +z=-465.2895 +rx=-0.395023 +ry=0.330776 +rz=-1.876073 +s=-4.07242 +convention=coordinate_frame +exact
+step +proj=cart +inv +ellps=bessel
+step +proj=hgridshift +inv +grids=rdcorr2018.gsb,null
+step +proj=sterea +lat_0=52.156160556 +lon_0=5.387638889 +k=0.9999079 +x_0=155000 +y_0=463000 +ellps=bessel
+step +proj=set +v_3=0 +omit_fwd
+step +proj=pop +v_3

Disclaimer:
De inhoud van dit bericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor geadresseerde.
Gebruik van de inhoud van dit bericht door anderen zonder toestemming van het Kadaster
is onrechtmatig. Mocht dit bericht ten onrechte bij u terecht komen, dan verzoeken wij u
dit direct te melden aan de verzender en het bericht te vernietigen.
Aan de inhoud van dit bericht kunnen geen rechten worden ontleend.

Disclaimer:
The content of this message is meant to be received by the addressee only.
Use of the content of this message by anyone other than the addressee without the consent
of the Kadaster is unlawful. If you have received this message, but are not the addressee,
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the message.
No rights can be derived from the content of this message.