[PROJ] About geoid_model in proj.db

Javier Jimenez Shaw j1 at jimenezshaw.com
Wed Nov 10 10:12:08 PST 2021

Hi

In proj.db there is a table "geoid_model" with the list of accepted
GEOIDMODEL tags, like GEOID18, GEOID12B, OSGM15 or GGM10 (I added that last
one because because it is used with NAVD88 height, for consistency)

https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/blob/04928472dbee772b6b31c78352dc486fb6543a91/data/sql/customizations.sql#L241

However there are many geoid grid files in PROJ-data that do not have a
geoid model name there.

What is the policy to set geoid models there in that table?
I already have a patch for that table with many of them, like AUSGeoid2020,
DNN, EGM08-REDNAP, RAF09, RAF18, NZGeoid2016 or SAGEOID2010. By the way, we
use them to "know" that there is a grid file for a vertical CRS using
https://proj.org/development/reference/functions.html#c.proj_get_geoid_models_from_database

Does it make sense to add that to the PROJ repository? If yes, would it
make sense that any new geoid grid file added in PROJ-data adds a geoid
model there?
See that this is the tag GEOIDMODEL in WKT2 (if I understood correctly) so
it should not change "so often".
I do not know how sensible it would be to changes in EPSG database.

Thanks.
Entre dos pensamientos racionales
hay infinitos pensamientos irracionales.