[PROJ] promoteTo3D in ftUS

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Oct 21 12:14:26 PDT 2021

Le 21/10/2021 à 20:53, Javier Jimenez Shaw a écrit :
> Hi
>
> There is currently a method
>
> CRSNNPtr CRS::promoteTo3D(const std::string &newName,
>                           const io::DatabaseContextPtr &dbContext) const
>
> that adds vertical axis in Meters (if there is no one there, etc).
>
> Sometimes (when working with CRS from USA), I need the vertical one in
> ft or ftUS.
promoteTo3D() will create a Geographic3D CRS or a Projected 3D CRS, ie
with ellipsoidal heights, not orthometric height. Are ellipsoidal
heights in ft/ftUS really what you need ?

> There is another function
> CRSNNPtr CRS::promoteTo3D(const std::string &newName,
>                           const io::DatabaseContextPtr &dbContext,
>                           const cs::CoordinateSystemAxisNNPtr
> &verticalAxisIfNotAlreadyPresent) const
>
> but it is "PROJ_INTERNAL" (whatever it means)
Just that it restricts a method from being exported in a class that is
exported. I tend to be conservative of what I expose in the API if I'm
not sure it will be needed by external users.

> Would it make sense to have a function (or overload) that specifies
> the unit?

If that's the function you need, just removing PROJ_INTERNAL, moving it
in the public part and adding doc should be enough.

The CRS::alterCSLinearUnit() method could also be useful.