[PROJ] GPS to MSL

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Sep 28 03:03:46 PDT 2022

Paul,

Great post.

I've noticed you point to the https://www.agisoft.com/downloads/geoids/
page which mentions they use the PROJ GTG format. A lot of their files
have the same names as the ones provided by https://cdn.proj.org/ , but
they are not exactly the same... Looking at au_ga_AUSGeoid98.tif, it
appears they have reprocessed them to modify the TIFFTAG_COPYRIGHT
(removing the license information) and TIFFTAG_IMAGEDESCRIPTION. Also
adding the nodata value tag (PROJ grids only contain it when they are
actual grid values at the nodata value). And more annoying they have
also modified the GDAL_METADATA tag in a way it is not currently
understood by current GDAL versions (adding the <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="UTF-8"?> marker before the root <GDALMetadata> element,
whereas GDAL expects the string to start directly with <GDALMetadata>),
so the GTG specific metadata is hidden. I'm going to fix the GDAL
GeoTIFF reader to be more robust to that.

I've also noticed that the dk_sdfe_dvr90.tif file they provide is quite
different from the PROJ CDN: it has not the same extent and spatial
resolution.

A bit annoying to reuse the same file names as the ones we provide but
with different content.

Anyway this is rather for any Agisoft employee reading this email....

Even