[PROJ] Dealing with epoch and transformations

Lesparre, Jochem Jochem.Lesparre at kadaster.nl
Tue Sep 17 23:41:41 PDT 2024

Besides command line PROJ, I don't think there is much software that supports time-dependent transformations. Or does ArcGIS support this now? I heard they were working on it. It will probably take a long time and a lot of effort to raise awareness before time-dependent transformations become common practice in geo-information. So, we need a default epoch for such transformations.

The most practical default epoch would be in the middle of the expected lifetime of a realisation (for ITRF2014 this would be between the publication date of ITRF2014 and the publication date of ITRF2020). However, the publications of ITRS and WGS 84 realisations do not have a regular interval. So, there is no real way to predict the lifespan of a realisation. Ideally, IAG would choose a suitable default epoch by publishing ITRS realisations with a reference epoch in the future instead of in the past. Such extrapolation might feel a bit unscientific for IAG, so maybe some other organisation will have to come up with recommendations for more practical default epochs. I do not think PROJ should make this decision. So, I agree with you that using the reference epoch, like PROJ does, is the most reasonable thing to do for the moment.

I hope to discuss the need for a joint European strategy for dealing with the time-dependent ETRS89-ITRS transformation for geo-information at the upcoming EUREF-EuroSDR workshop in Tromsø, Norway. Is anyone else from this mailing list going there? Registration is still open...
https://www.eurosdr.net/workshops/joint-euref-and-eurosdr-workshop-how-increase-use-spatial-data-sharing-data-across-borders

Jochem