Fwd: [Proj4j] Question About Valid CRS Identifiers To Get Started With GUI Development

Martin Davis mtnclimb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 11:58:28 EST 2010

ditto

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Martin Davis <mtnclimb at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 8:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Proj4j] Question About Valid CRS Identifiers To Get
Started With GUI Development
To: Sunburned Surveyor <sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com>

Landon,

Re the the handling of CRS descriptions.  I see the parsing and model
of CRSes working like this:

- the Proj4FileReader will read a given input file in "PROJ4 format"
into a list of CRS objects.
- a CRS object will have an authority code, an id within the authority
namespace, and a textual description.  (This is pretty much
implemented now)
- The UI can provide whatever views of that list (or lists - one for
each input file = authority) is required.  I can see a need for at
least a view which shows the Auth, ID, and Desc all together.  It
might be nice to be able to sort by ID or description - although it's
probably more useful to provide text search within descriptions

So I don't think there's a need for a separate CRSIdentifier class -
the current CRS class has everything needed.  The views of this are
where much work is needed - typically defining and presenting these
kinds of views and search capabilities are much more work than the
underlying model.

HTH...