[Proj4j] An approach to working together

Martin Davis mtnclimb at gmail.com
Mon May 31 23:44:39 EDT 2010

Fred,

Sorry that you've found that you can't simply use the current Proj4J
codebase.  Perhaps it will be worth revisiting this decision once
Proj4J has stabilized and become more proven in use.  It seems to me
like there's got to much more common code than there is differences in
approach (100 complex projection classes far outways any structural
code that's been changed, I think!)

Anyway, your proposal of simply sharing algorithm fixes sounds fine,
and quite workable.  The core projection code should be very portable
between both systems, I expect.

Ideally you can provide test cases which exhibit failure cases (and
prove that the bug has been fixed).  I will add these to the Proj4j
test suite whereever possible - this is very important to allow
regression testing going forward.

I don't think there are any projections which should be ignored.  I
seem to recall that there's some strange issues around the
OrthographicAzimuthalProjection - perhaps to do with it being out of
synch with the original Proj4 code.  But it would be nice to have this
tested and fixed as needed.

I don't rule out interest in projections with no inverse and
sphere-only projections.  Probably some comparison should be done with
PROJ4, CSMAP and GeoTools to see if they are provided there.  It would
be nice to support any and all projections, but priority must be given
to code which will be most likely to be used.

Look forward to the first round of bug fixes!

You might have a look at Albers - I think I fixed a bug or two in there.

Martin