[Proj4j] Upload to Maven central

Tom Arnold tom9729 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 17:13:06 PST 2015

> Is keeping the lib updated an ongoing manual process, or can it be
automated as part of a build?

I think it can be done either way. My goal for now is to do a one-time
upload to get something out there. I'm thinking it will be easier to make
it automated once the project moves to GitHub. For example, Travis CI (
http://docs.travis-ci.com/user/getting-started/) is a service integrated
with GitHub and does a build for every commit, so you could use this to
upload snapshots to central automatically (more on this below).

> I guess the version # in the pom acts as a unique key, so there's no
problem pushing new versions as long as it is incremented appropriately...

Pretty much!

A nightly build from trunk would be published as a snapshot; snapshots
automatically have a timestamp added to the version to make them unique,
and it's considered bad practice to depend on snapshots when you go to do a
release. I think Travis CI could be setup to automatically upload these
snapshot builds to Maven central. This would be a way for people to get the
latest version of the library without building it themselves.

Every once in awhile someone should cut a release and upload to central.
The version number for the release would have to be incremented. I think
this can be mostly automated; perhaps by using the maven-release-plugin.

Thanks,
Tom