[Proj4j] Upload to Maven central

Rob Emanuele rdemanuele at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 10:52:10 PST 2015

That's great Tom, thanks for doing that.

GeoTrellis actually uses proj4j, but we imported the codebase into our
project.
https://github.com/geotrellis/geotrellis/tree/master/proj4/src/main/java/org/osgeo/proj4j

I'd like to switch to using the dependency on maven now, but we added is
making the following classes implement Serializable: Projection,
GeocentricConverter, Ellipsoid, Datum, and CoordinateReferenceSystem. We
need these to be serializable because we ship around
CoordinateReferenceSystem objects when using GeoTrellis on top of a Spark
cluster. If no on is opposed, I could make that change and GeoTrellis could
then switch over to using the maven central JAR after it's released.

Another change made by a contributor from Sweden was the replacing of
commas in decimal strings with periods (which is necessary in the case that
 localization creates commas instead of periods). That happened in these
places in ProjCoordinate:
https://github.com/geotrellis/geotrellis/blob/master/proj4/src/main/java/org/osgeo/proj4j/ProjCoordinate.java#L399
https://github.com/geotrellis/geotrellis/blob/master/proj4/src/main/java/org/osgeo/proj4j/ProjCoordinate.java#L401

I'd be happy to start contributing to this codebase. Is the project still
using SVN or is there active development on this github repo:
https://github.com/Proj4J/proj4j?

Also, Martin was there any thoughts about putting this into the
LocationTech ecosystem? Since JTS is making it's way there, and GeoTrellis
relies on it, and some infrastructure would be present there, it's an
option worth considering.

Best,
Rob