[Projects] OGC products list

Luis Bermudez lbermudez at opengeospatial.org
Fri Oct 24 08:31:35 PDT 2014

Dear Cameron,

Sorry this took a little bit long to respond.

1) OSGeo claims that it "provides a legal and administrative framework to better support the ongoing development and promotion of open source geospatial data and technologies."  This I think includes the legal framework to sign the License Mark Agreement with OGC when requesting OGC certification.
http://www.osgeo.org/content/faq/foundation_faq.html

2) OSGeo, can be legally responsible, if the project accepts, for managing the compliance submission at OGC.

3) Any Open Source Geospatial project can "use" OSGeo as a legal entity to get OGC certified. Is up to OSGeo to decide if this applies to projects in incubation.

4) The certification logo will have the OSGeo name. Projects  that advertise their OGC compliance should use this logo. For example:
https://portal.opengeospatial.org/public_ogc/compliance/srv_ogc_compliance_badge.php?id=102&pid=1083

More line.

On Oct 16, 2014, at 5:08 PM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Luis,
> The nature of Open Source licenses is that the code can be owned by multiple people. This is the case for many OSGeo projects. I'm pretty sure PostGIS falls under that category, and I note that Boundless have registered PostGIS as implementing OGC standards.
>
> So by that precedence, OSGeo would be able to list any of the Open Source Geospatial projects associated with OSGeo as implementing OGC standards, be they incubated, in incubation, or even just self registering in OSGeo Labs.
> Is that correct?

Yes.

> Extending on that logic, I'd suggest that OSGeo should be able to pay to have an Open Source GIS project "certified OGC compliant", even though OSGeo doesn't own the code. For example, OSGeo could pay to have PostGIS certified, even though OSGeo doesn't legally own the code. (PostGIS is an OSGeo graduated project).
> Is that correct?

Yes.

> Now moving onto OSGeo projects. OSGeo projects are already encouraged to make use of OGC standards.
> I'd suggest that our graduation process should encourage projects to run and pass CITE certification tests for relevant standards (update to graduation process required).
> Part of project build and release processes should involve verifying CITE tests work. (Update to project processes required)
> The passing of CITE certification should be advertised in OSGeo marketing, such as the OSGeo-Live documentation (update to OSGeo-Live documentation template required).
> For OSGeo Graduated projects, I'd suggest that OSGeo should consider offering to pay for official CITE testing. (An incentive for projects to compete graduation). We would need to consider the business case behind this before proceeding.

Great Ideas !

- Luis

Luis Bermudez, Ph.D.
Director Compliance Program