[pycsw-devel] PyCSW Harvesting

Ryan Hodges rhodges at ecotrust.org
Sun Dec 16 12:03:56 PST 2012

I’ve been testing out harvesting with PyCSW and I’m pretty impressed, right off the bat harvesting from CSW sources (including GeoNetwork and GeoPortal, ISO19139 and FGDC) was fairly smooth. However, I didn’t have any success harvesting a CKAN 1.8 instance or between PyCSW instances, and I also failed to harvest from PyCSW using CKAN 1.8, GeoPortal, or GeoNetwork (all of the failed tests were with ISO 19139 documents).

Does this sound about right?

I can understand failing on harvesting CKAN 1.8, as it was (as I understand) only set up to serve CSW to be harvested from by GeoNetwork instances, though CKAN 2.0 should be better thanks to PyCSW. However I'm not sure if the problems I'm having harvesting between PyCSW instances is due to me improperly configuring one/both of my PyCSW instances, or if it's indicative of something bigger. Has anyone successfully performed CSW harvesting between to PyCSW instances, and if so, do you have a server somewhere I could attempt to harvest from (preferably with only a few records in it)?

If there is something specific that you'd like to see in my logs from these tests, let me know. I'll be better able to get those on Monday.

Thanks,
Ryan Hodges
Applications Developer at Ecotrust
rhodges at ecotrust.org | +1-503-467-0800 | www.ecotrust.org