[pycsw-devel] #61 Migrate scm from Subversion to Git

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Fri May 4 19:00:10 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I am bringing this issue for discussion here, it is more convenient than
trac (https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/pycsw/ticket/61).

I think the first step would be moving to git. After that, github is just a
hosting issue and can be done using a simple git push...

Now the tracker issue is more tricky. We have the alternative to use osgeo
trac.
I know the trend is to use github throughout a project these days (see
mapserver, openlayers etc)

My only concern is that Github is not Free (as in freedom and as in beer).
On the other hand sourceforge code was never available too :)

So basically I am not against moving to github, I am just proposing to move
slowly:
- Move to Git scm after 1.4.0 release (around July). Clone the new
repository to Github and create a project account for it.
- Use as many osgeo resources available (we already use it for web site,
downloads)
- Move our tracker system to Github or OSGeo as a last step to moving away
from sf.net.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Angelos