[pycsw-devel] Query endpoints like THREDDS, CKAN, GEONETWORK and harvest the results in a PyCSW catalog

epi massimodisasha at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 16:13:25 PST 2013

Hi All,

i’m pretty new to PyCSW and css itself, for my job i need to work with data coming from a multitude od data services

US data.gov,  THREDDS (in use but usgs), Geonetwork opensource for global data etc ..

i’m slowly going into this interesting world .. and my first aim is :

is it possible to Query an endpoint based on a Spatio-Temporal query plus some keywords  and use the retrieved metadata to generate an pycsw catalog ?

at this link i started to use owslib to query  the US data.gov endpoint :  'http://geo.gov.ckan.org/csw'

where  i’m asking for dataset in this area :

bbox=[-141,42,-52,84]

with keywords : temperature

i limit the results to 20 ..

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/gist.github.com/anonymous/d06033eb4363d2ac8403/raw/e09a30fd1870c45ce84c844ff85e62130e8fcede/csw_test.ipynb

now i’m stuck on understand how to use the owslib information in order to harves the data retrieved by the query .. in a fresh new catalog in pycsw.

i’ll need to do the same also for THREDDS and  Geonetwork, but to get me started .. i chased CKAN.

Thanks for any help hints, i’d love to share the approach with you trough IPython notebooks .. so i can keep track of advancement in documenting the needed steps to achieve the final target

Massimo.