[pycsw-devel] [vote] RFC2 - OGC OpenSearch Geo/Time support

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Sun May 11 04:51:28 PDT 2014

Hi Adria,

Thank you for your comments.

On 05/11/2014 11:51 AM, Adrià Mercader wrote:
> Hi Angelos,
>
> This looks really good, thanks for the thorough RFC.
>
> A couple of quick questions:
>
> * In terms of external endpoint, how coupled is OpenSearch to CSW?

The point of this implementation here is to open the road for CSW 3.0.
OpenSearch is a big part of the new specification and it is tightly
integrated to CSW like in this RFC.

> Basically if a client, say the Firefox search bar, would like to integrate
> search results why should it need a URL like
>
> http://localhost/pycsw/csw.py?mode=opensearch&service=CSW&version=2.0.2&request=GetRecords&q=SearchTerm
>
> Rather than just
>
> http://localhost/pycsw/opensearch.py?q=SearchTerm
I agree, this would be much simpler for stand alone OpenSearch support.

> I can see how the second option may involve a more complex implementation.
Yes, it would require some more additions to the opensearch.py but it
could be easily done for
http://localhost/pycsw/csw.py?q=SearchTerm

Actually I started the implementation with this in mind and then changed
to the CSW 3 way in the middle. So the initial code lives in the git
history :)

> * Will the Atom results contain a link to the full metadata document? And
> if so will you be able to decide the format of these documents like in a
> normal CSW call? Eg with an outputSchema parameter
Yes, the idea is to be able to request the record afterwards using
outputSchema.