[pycsw-devel] revamped CLI for pycsw-admin.py

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 15:20:58 PDT 2016

Hi all: given we are headed towards 2.0 it's a good time to think about
serious changes that would valuable.

One that has come to my mind is revamping the CLI for pycsw-admin.py
to be more elegant, in particular:

1./ using subcommands

Instead of:

pycsw-admin.py -c post_xml -u http://localhost:8000 -x path/to/file.xml

pycsw-admin.py post-xml http://localhost:8000 path/to/file.xml

Figuring out what's a positional arg (beyond the first 'subcommand'
are) and what's worth a flag will need investigation.

2./ moving pycsw-admin.py into into pycsw.core.admin within __main__
and declaring pycsw-admin.py as an entry point in setup.py.  Looks
like this requires a move (from distutils) to setuptools

Thoughts?  What approaches
or tools/libs can we use to move this forward?
What do folks think about renewing the CLI?  Is it worth it?  Too much
trouble for something that 'works'?  Of course this would
break the existing CLI, but if folks agree this is a good idea, now
is the time to move this forward.

Cheers

..Tom