[pygeoapi] Clarification on Features Core Part 1 1.0 Conformance

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 10:27:24 PDT 2021

Hi Tom:

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 12:39 PM Tom Christian <thomaschristian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm attempting to resolve a question I raised in
> https://github.com/geopython/pygeoapi/issues/672 that was subsequently
> closed, with me being redirected to this mailing list.
>
> Initially my question was how pygeoapi is conformant with Features Core
> Part 1 1.0 when several "providers" do not support bbox or datetime
> filters. I was informed that the providers have varying levels of support
> and this is OK. However, I am trying to determine how or where the OGC spec
> permits different levels of conformance based on source data type. From my
> reading of the documentation I did not think that this was an option.
>
> Tom Kralidis stated "this is irrelevant from the OGC viewpoint", but I
> don't understand how this is true - OGC should expect all collections to
> support bbox and datetime filtering because it doesn't care about how the
> data was accessed. If the spec says an implementation SHALL support bbox
> and datetime filtering then presumably all providers need to support that
> behaviour? Otherwise an API client who is unaware of each collection's data
> source will see varying levels of spec compliance with no indication as to
> why.

You are correct.  OGC does not care about what the underlying data store
is, or how it is accessed for
that matter (that's the whole beauty of the OGC WxS/API standards).

pygeoapi is OGC Compliant and a Reference Implementation.  When putting
forth the implementation for
compliance testing to OGC, one provides a deployed endpoint for the CITE
tests to assertions against,
not the actual software implementation.  In the pygeoapi case, our CITE
compliance is based on
the Elasticsearch backend, which provides the functionality to make the
instance compliant.  As mentioned,
see [1] for more information.

..Tom

[1] https://github.com/geopython/pygeoapi/wiki/OGCCompliance