[pygeoapi] image based map tile providers

Just van den Broecke justb4 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 00:08:58 PDT 2022

Hi Travis,

You are right: the current implementation only supports Vector tiles,
with sources from either a stored file-hierarchy or from a remote URL.
Like Tom said the Provider type needs to be MVT.
You may be lucky that some tile requests may work, but I suspect not as
the MVT Provider (data URL) implementation is geared towards the
"MapBox" protocol. The documentation needs amending.

The OGC spec [1], still in draft, distinguishes among "tiles", actually
Vector Tiles and "map tiles", actually raster tiles (as the follow-up
from WMTS). Each has its own URL/API-pattern. If you are into Python a
new pygeoapi Provider for "map tiles" may be added. There is already an
Abstract Base Class Provider tile.py. We can support you in  that effort.

[1] http://docs.ogc.org/DRAFTS/20-057.html

Best,

Just van den Broecke