[pygeoapi] pygeoapi as productive tool

Edd Lewis - BGS edlew at bgs.ac.uk
Mon Nov 28 03:51:25 PST 2022

Hi Wolfgang,

We've implemented pygeoapi on https://ogcapi.bgs.ac.uk/ as a production system. This is running on Kubernetes using our self-hosted cloud infrastructure. Our BGS skin is https://github.com/BritishGeologicalSurvey/pygeoapi-bgs-skin if you'd like an example.

The service isn't "launched", but will be early next year once we have some more documentation / examples of how to interact with the API.

At BGS we use Oracle Spatial as our corporate store, to serve data using pygeoapi we have a postgres instance which has a schema of tables we want to serve using the foreign data wrapper extension (https://github.com/laurenz/oracle_fdw) to connect to oracle query layers. We then have another schema in postgres which holds materialised views of the FDW tables, these are what our pygeoapi instance connects to. The postgres FDW, Mat Views and scheduled updates are managed using Flyway (https://flywaydb.org/).

We'd ideally like to drop the postgres intermediate step (although postgres is awesome for generating vector tiles - handy for dynamic datasets). I'm told (not a developer!) making a oracle provider wouldn't be a huge job as you'd amend the postgres provider which uses SQLAlchemy (https://www.sqlalchemy.org/). SQLAlchemy already supports Oracle. There might have been a sticking point with geoalchemy not supporting oracle...

There's a larger discussion about use of Mapserver, Geoserver, pygeoapi, ESRI server for different users/datasets (BGS currently uses all 4!), but at the moment pygeoapi is the only one which implements OGCAPI-Features + CQL functionality which we require and meets our dev best practice, infrastructure as code, use k8s etc.

Regards,

Edd

Edward Lewis PGradCert (Geostats), MGeol, MAusIMM
Data Standards Lead | Senior Geologist

p       +44 (0)115 936 3385
m      +44 (0)7487559371
e       edlew at bgs.ac.uk<mailto:edlew at bgs.ac.uk>
t       @GeologistEdd<https://twitter.com/Geologist_Edd?lang=en>
w     www.koalageo.rocks<http://www.koalageo.rocks/>
w     www.bgs.ac.uk<http://www.bgs.ac.uk/>

British Geological Survey | Nicker Hill | Keyworth | Nottingham NG12 5GG | UK

[cid:image001.png at 01D9031D.5C16BFF0]

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any of its attachments and should notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this email or any attachments containing viruses or malware but the recipient should carry out its own virus and malware checks before opening the attachments. UKRI does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses.