[Pywps-dev] Important changes to PyWPS-4

Luís de Sousa luis.a.de.sousa at gmail.com
Wed May 13 07:49:16 PDT 2015

Dear all,

We have been conducting test sessions on PyWPS-4 with potential users
(other colleagues of ours). This has allowed us to identify important
bugs but also to understand the difficulties they have with the
current framework.

In consequence we have decided to make two important changes to the
current structure and of PyWPS-4:

1. Unbundle the core code from the user processes

2. Encapsulate processes into their own class/file

What was the simply demo.py file was transformed into a new project
that is part of PyWPS-4 as a submodule. The contents of this new
project are:
. pywps.cfg
. demo.py
. server.py
. processes [folder with examples]

To add a new process the user creates a new class in the processes
folder and then invokes it in the demo.py file. You can check this new
structure in this branch:

https://github.com/ldesousa/pywps-4/tree/Testing

Installing is also a bit more straightforward:
1. Install Git and GDAL
2. Install the egg with the core PyWPS (this goes somewhere in the system)
3. Checkout the demo project from GitHub (into a user folder)
4. Run the demo project (python demo.py)

We'll still add a few more examples and then include all this in a new
pull request. I hope this will happen somewhere next week.

Cheers,

Luís