[Pywps-dev] PyWPS-4: nearly there

Luís de Sousa luis.a.de.sousa at gmail.com
Wed May 27 08:00:02 PDT 2015

Dear all,

Calin's internship is ending this week. We submitted a new pull
request today with a great deal of re-factoring into a generally wiser
code structure. This should be the last pull request for this period.

What we have now:
. Full (or nearly full) WPS 1.0 compliance.
. Assynchronous execution with Multiprocessing.
. An encapsulated demo application included as a sub-module (I passed
its ownership to Jachym today).
. A small manual with install/usage instructions for Linux and
Winblows (note that Multiprocessing does not function on the later).

Loose ends:
. The code is scantly commented; it should be completed before PyWPS
4.0 is released.
. There is no logging mechanism included. This ok in development,
where tools like PyCharm or Eclipse can help debugging the code. In
production it might become hard to trace bugs.
. The user must take care of file storage, this was not the case with PyWPS-3.

What happens now:
. From Monday onwards, Calin will start working on the Rest
administration mechanism. He will be funded by the Google Summer of
Code.
. I will start with WPS 2.0 (and expand the comments if possible). My
time is somewhat constrained for the moment, so progress could be
slow. However, I will be unemployed from October onwards and then
could dedicate some more time to it.
. I will be presenting PyWPS-4 at FOSS4G-E (as a poster), it would be
nice if we could release version 4.0 before then.

How you can help:
. Expand the examples in the demo application (we are particularly
missing examples with GRASS).
. Code more tests - they are never too many.
. Comment the code.
. Expand the manual (resident in the /doc folder).

Happy coding,

Luís

P.S.: Calin please expand on any of this you feel the need.