[Qgis-community-team] Re: manual update

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Wed Apr 30 02:55:19 EDT 2008

Hi Tara,

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:36:46 -0700
Tara Athan <tara_athan at alt2is.com> wrote:

> We do want to document new features in the new manual release, but we should
> be (and are) taking advantage of hyperlinks to other parts of the document so
> there is not repitition. If we document a new feature and then link to a basic
> procedure that is out-of-date or unclear, that defeats the purpose.
>
> So I think it is a question of timing. A collection of tasks doesn't indicate
> any order for things to be done, and if we are asking for volunteers, people
> tend to be more interested in new things rather than fixing up old things. So
> I am concerned that if we put in just a list of everything that needs to be
> done, we will get lots of help documenting new features and not much on
> cleaning up the old parts.
>
> Can we break this up into 2 phases? First the clean up, then the new features?

yes, you are right, it is important to work on the manual in two steps. Update,
clarify and maybe extend older parts first (this is a lot of work) and then add
new feature descriptions.

An idea to organize this:

We could use section "Procedure for new manual releases" at the
DocumentationWritersCorner for a short description and to link to a new
wiki site "ManualChecklists", similar to the release team ReleaseChecklists [1]?

[1] http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/ReleaseChecklists

There we can organize and describe general steps to update and prepair the
manual (in fact it partly already exsists here [2]) and add links to version
depending tasks on another wiki site.

[2] http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/DocumentationReleasePreparation

So it would look like:

DocumentationWritersCorner
	|--- ...
	|--- ManualChecklists (with general Information)
		|--- ...
		|--- Manual 0.10 (with TODOs divided in phases)
		|--- Manual 1.0 (with TODOs divided in phases)

It is just a first idea, would this make sense to you?

 regards,
  Otto