[work] [Qgis-community-team] Re: Python plugins and C++ plugins: using different terms

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Thu Aug 7 18:11:20 EDT 2008

Hi

2008/8/7 Tara Athan <tara_athan at alt2is.com>:
> In 10 seconds of in-depth research in Wikipedia, I come to the conclusion
> that the terms plugin, addon and extension are interchangeable. So it seems
> confusing to me to introduce more than one- it suggests a difference which
> doesn't exist.

Agreed they are all plugins...

> The user guide will follow the GUI, so I think it is premature to talk about
> what language will be used in the user guide.
> First, decide how the GUI will deal with the issue of a separate mechanism
> for plugin installation, then the user guide language will follow naturally.

Ok good.

> At present, the Plugin menu seems quite confusing to me. IMO, the Plugin
> Installer should not appear within the list of other enabled plugins, but
> should be above the divider, together with Plugin Manager. I would rather
> see actions phrases (Install Plugins, Manage Plugins) similar to (most)
> other menu items, such as Add a Vector Layer.

Agreed - I'll wait till Tom has finished his menu revision before
changing anything here though.

> And then it makes sense to have a submenu under Install Plugins for (Install
> Python Plugins) and (Install C++ Plugins). Otherwise, how would one know
> that there are C++ plugins to install? If there is no dialog box for
> installing C++ Plugins, this could simply lead to a popup with instructions.

C++ plugins are installed either manually or using your operating
systems package manager. There is not unified installation framework
for C++ plugins as there is for python, and its unlikely this will
happen soon.

> By the way, how does one "uninstall" plugins?

Currently its a purely manual process.

Regards

Tim

--
Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release Manager
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net