[Qgis-community-team] http://qgis.osgeo.org/ is online for testing

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 03:16:31 EDT 2008

Hi,

Stephan, if you have some time, please have a look at the Tim's suggestions,
write those you agree with to the wiki and delegate the tasks on the community
list. I would volunteer to assist and below my opinions...

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 22:25:36 +0200
"Tim Sutton" <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Ok I'm back at home and had a look at the mock up. I have many many
> comments, here is what I can manage before I fall asleep at the
> keyboard :-) I appreciate that others may have different opinions,
> these are just mine...
>
> - When you navigate away from the front page there is nothing to tell
> you what site you are on. Every page should have at minimum the qgis
> icon and the words 'Quantum GIS' at the top of the page. I think this
> may be best placed above the osgeo logo in the left cl, but Im not
> sure without seeing it in reality. Then the osgeo logo could go under
> it.

yes, important

> - The features list should be split into two, left aligned columns so
> that the features appear 'above the fold'

seems to be done

> - Articles on front page (and probably elsewhere) should not have date
> / time / pdf etc icons. For me it adds a lot of visual clutter and ads
> no real benifit and in worst case makes it look like QGIS was born
> this week only :-P

yes, we should only show title and the text, no pdf/print/time/author/.... I
also think it deflects and makes the website unstructured

> - I like the right aligned top menu bar and now I think the
> accessibility icons are a) wasting space b) looking a bit strange
> because the blue bar is wider then the menu bar below it and isnt
> rounded like the bar below. I suggest to remove that current
> accessibility bar and put the icons left aligned on the top menu bar
> since we have the free space there.

yes, but I would prefere to put the menu bar inside the blue bar,
because this kind of header would nicely introduce the two colors used in the
website.

> - The QGIS screenie with the reflection in the intro to qgis paragraph
> needs to be a) padded a little from the surrounding text b) aligned so
> that the top of the image aligns to the top of the first row of the
> intro paragraph

yes

> - OSGeo logo should be center aligned in its column

I am not happy with the place for the OSGeo logo but don't have a better idea,
yet. Maybe below the QGIS screenie. And the QGIS logo on the other side of the
intro to qgis paragraph could go into the paragraph defined as {mosimage}.

> - It would be good to get rid of the main menu module on left all
> together - I think the site still has too many things going on.
> - When the main menu module is gone, can you put a custom module that
> says something like 'Current Version Foo Bar, released 16 of June
> 2008. Download."
> - Put the screenshots link in the top menu.
> - When we settle on a plugin repository put the menu item as 'Plugins'
> in the top menu.

I would keep the main menu, because (maybe I am wrong) Stephan's idea seems to
be that the top bar leads to the external blog, wiki, download, forum ... and
the main menue to internal topics. Was this intended? If so, I like that idea.

> - We need to get SEO urls working so that this isnt in address bar:

http://qgis.osgeo.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=97&Itemid=120

yes, agree

> - I think its better to put 'the project' on the front page after the
> features list (see comments relating to that above) and remove the
> 'the project' page.

yes

> - the black top menu bar on the right side is missing its rounded
> corners like it has to the left side

yes, see comments above

> - can we get rid of the light gray frames around the outside of the content?

I would delete the outer frame but keep one.

> - the module box titles (e.g. "Polls") and their content is
> disproportionately large comared to the rest of the site.

yes, the size for box titles and text is not optimized yet

> - can you remove the word 'website' from the window title (i.e. the
> site name in configuration) since its redundant to say that this is a
> website.

yes, maybe better "Quantum GIS - Open Source Geographical Information System"

regards,
 Otto