[work] [Qgis-community-team] alaska dataset for manual examples

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Fri May 30 02:00:53 EDT 2008

Hi Tara,

On Thu, 29 May 2008 17:28:43 -0700
Tara Athan <tara_athan at alt2is.com> wrote:

> Hi, Otto.  I started looking at the data and the wiki.
> I have a few questions - (Community Team please join in the discussion)
>
> 1. should we be concerned about posting data that has a license that is
> not completely compatible with the overall license for our manual and
> website, (which is ???). In particular, I notice the Landsat data has a
> restriction to non-commercial applications.

I don't know if this is a problem with the landsat data and I don't think the
data have to have the same license as the manual, but we probably have to
declare the different licenses somewhere/somehow. We don't have a license for
the website so far.

> 2. how much duplication in formats do we want? If the purpose is to be
> able to demonstrate QGIS capabilities, then one or two (for overlays)
> layers of each format should be enough. If we also want to educate about
> what geographical data is available, then it would be interesting to
> have more thematic layers. I presume we will provide the complete
> dataset as a zip file, as well as individual layers, so it may get
> excessively large if we include too much.

no, it should be mainly a dataset to demonstrate QGIS capabilities. For GRASS
there are other nice locations available. The current dataI collected is only a
collection and tries to show what is available. It is up to you what is useful
for a dataset. Please select your favorites and we should try to keep it small,
so maybe srtm90 and landsat are too much?

> 3. I have put instructions into the wiki that data contributors should
> e-mail the data, or a link, to me. But those with wiki access can also
> do what you did- include a link to the data next to the format. Do most
> people on the qgis team have wiki access now?  If so, that might be a
> better procedure than e-mails.

I think people should email the data or a link to you. if they have wiki
access they can add information theirselfs directly, so you don't need to do
that, if not you should add a short note, so people know the status. But maybe
we already have enough data?

> 4. You have demonstrated one way of presenting the layers - as a visible
> directory with a README.html file. There are other, more modern ways,
> such as document management systems. Is there any down side (security
> issues?) to the old-fashioned way?

it was just the easiest way for me to put the files somewhere with some notes.
We can of course make it different, but I don't have experiences with document
management systems.

kind regards,
 Otto