[Qgis-community-team] GRASS section of the manual

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Tue Aug 11 02:48:07 EDT 2009

Hi Micha,

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 22:36:59 +0300
Micha Silver <micha at arava.co.il> wrote:

> Here are some of my thoughts regarding the GRASS plugin section of the
> manual, and what modules to demonstrate -
>

> 1- r.contours (using the gtopo30 dem)
>
>     v.generalize on the new vector contour map (explaining the
> difference  between the GRASS options and the fTools simplify tool)
>
>     r.watershed (same dem)
>     r.to.vect on the new watershed and streams raster maps

yes, good idea

> 2- Also r.patch but on _what data_? The Alaska raster data contains only
> the one gtopo30 tile.

you could convert some vector to raster data before and patch then.

> 3- v.rast.stats: import the trees shape file into GRASS, then run
> v.rast.stats on the dem to show the relationship between forest coverage
> and elevation. I'd do g.region first to process only a small area.

good, if people get to know g.region as well!

I think in general it is a good idea to add some GRASS examples to the manual,
so people get a feeling how a typical workflow may look like using the GRASS
toolbox.

> 4- The manual for 1.1 has in the appendix a (long) list of all the GRASS
> modules. Is this necessary? Perhaps more useful might be an alphabetical
> list of modules and where in the Toolbox (which section in the tree)
> each appears. I don't think it adds much to have the same tree list from
> the toolbox duplicated at the back of the manual.

yes, we can change that, maybe that would provide a better / clearer structure
and it is easier for people to find what they are looking for. And it would be
similar to the module list in the GRASS web documentation.

> Pardon one newbie question. Is the source for qgis 1.2 now available?
>  From where?

yes, as Giovanni wrote, we are now in feature freeze for trunk, so you can
build and use https://svn.osgeo.org/qgis/trunk/qgis for the documentation. Hope
that is ok.

I added you to th table for the GRASS section now at:
http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Manual_Writing