[Qgis-community-team] compiling manual & image quality

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Fri Aug 21 07:11:40 EDT 2009

Otto Dassau a écrit :
> Hi Jean Roc,
>
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:04:10 +0200
> MORREALE Jean Roc <jr.morreale at enoreth.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been compiling the french manual for 1.0 (using texlive2008) but
>> the quality of the images is very low : the jpg figuring in the final
>> pdf are full of compression blocks making some captures hard to read.
>>
>> All the source's images have been localized and saved as png (96dpi) so
>> I would really like to have them show up in a better quality.
>>
>> What are the right options to change ?
>
> All images are simply converted during compilation without any change of size or
> resolution. In the english version, many figures are screenshots with only 72dpi
> resolution. You are right they sometimes could be better, but I don't know of
> any parameter for dvipdf or dvips conversion that make the images look better,
> except using images with a higher resolution - just my 2c.
>
> Regards,
>  Otto

Hi Otto,

It is not a matter of size or resolution but of jpeg artifacts due to a
drastic compression, when I compare the png/eps they do not show these
blocks but the jpgs included in the pdf are full of it. I think  the
quality setting used by convert is below 60%, if we could get it up to
75% the images would be less blocky and still around 5% of the size of
the pngs