[Qgis-community-team] compiling manual & image quality

Jacolin Yves yjacolin at free.fr
Fri Aug 21 08:39:31 EDT 2009

Le Friday 21 August 2009 14:36:15 MORREALE Jean Roc, vous avez écrit :
> Otto Dassau a écrit :
> > On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 13:11:40 +0200
> >
> > MORREALE Jean Roc <jr.morreale at enoreth.net> wrote:

> >> Hi Otto,
> >>
> >> It is not a matter of size or resolution but of jpeg artifacts due to a
> >> drastic compression, when I compare the png/eps they do not show these
> >> blocks but the jpgs included in the pdf are full of it. I think  the
> >> quality setting used by convert is below 60%, if we could get it up to
> >> 75% the images would be less blocky and still around 5% of the size of
> >> the pngs
> >
> > Hi Jean Roc,
> >
> > ok, but since the pdf figures are created from eps format, I wonder where
> > we can improve the process since b) uses eps files created in a):
> >
> > a) convert PNG and JPEG to EPS defined in the Makefiles
> > b) create a PDF with dvipdf (a combination of dvips and ps2pdf) using EPS
> > figures from a)
> >
> > and when I look at the branches/1.0.0/french/user_guide folder, I don't
> > see any jpeg images except the qgis logo on the front page, or am I
> > wrong?
> >
> > Can you give an example image where you think there is a big quality
> > problem?
> >
> > Regards,
> >  Otto
>
> For example take a look at startup1.0.0.png and the image as it appears
> in the pdf (here saved as a jpg but could have been exported as a tiff
> with the same defects), you can see color distorsion and noise which are
> typical of an heavy quantization step:
>
> http://uppix.net/5/e/6/4197c43cfb28e319c4889368f40cd.png
> http://uppix.net/d/a/b/83b44bd238113703618b279045a45.jpg

Hello,

After looking in Google, it seems that dvipdf is known as not be the best way
to create PDF file with nice picture. Some people advice to use latex2pdf.

Jean-Roc, could you test it this afternoon, or do you prefer Iet me test to
build to night ? :)

Y.
--
Yves Jacolin

Ne demandez pas si vous pouvez contribuer, contribuez ! :)
---
http://softlibre.gloobe.org