[Qgis-community-team] GIS Tutorial with QGIS

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Jun 16 05:18:43 EDT 2009

Dear community team

We recently completed a job for the Department of Land Affairs, Eastern
Cape, South Africa, to build an educational resource around QGIS. Otto
Dassau and myself were the principle authors. The resource also includes
screencasts and a custom windows installer for QGIS 1.0 with rebranded
splash screen etc.

One of the conditions of the contract was that all content should be
under an open license (GPLD for documentation and CCSA for screencasts),
the idea being that we could integrate the products of this work into
the QGIS documentation base.

The original work was done in Open Office because I found it easier to
get the layout etc I wanted. I am in the process of porting it to LaTeX.

I would like to import all of these resources into the QGIS SVN (OOo
documents and Latex sources), and move the videos onto the official QGIS
web site, as well as pdf versions (see link below). Ultimately we would
like to see the community team becoming involved with translations and
extension of these worksheets. I am also actively seeking funding to do
this further on a sponsored basis. The resource is available here:

http://linfiniti.com/dla

Please let me know your thoughts on my incorporating these materials
into the QGIS svn repository (odt. latex docs) and moving the binary
products (pdf and mov videos) onto the official QGIS website. One thing
I would ask is to be allowed to place the sponsors logo prominently in
the resources and on the appropriate web pages.

Once the resource is moved onto QGIS.org (subject to your approval) I
will start to advertise it more widely to the user community.

Best regards

- --

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services