[Qgis-community-team] committing documentation

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Wed Oct 7 04:49:02 EDT 2009

Hi Paolo,

good topic :) - it must be splitted into manual and gui:

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 10:16:37 +0200
Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Hi all.
> AFAIK, usually translators of the interface and the manual do not have
> commit privileges on the svn: is this true?

a) for the manual / manual translation

not automatically, that is true. And I don't know if it would be a good idea
to change this, because the fluctuation of contributors is very high.

I think, we already handle svn-docs access in a very relaxed way. If someone
wants to have access to work on the manual or its translation, the person
only has to apply for it on the community-list. And if the person already has
some experiences with subversion and provides some good reasons and an OSGeo
ID, we haven't denied to grant immediate access so far.

The other practical way (if the contributor has only limited knowledge) to me
is, that the language coordinator collects and commits the files with his svn
account. And it would also be good, if people who received access but don't
want to contribute anymore tell us, so we can delete the svn account.

At the moment following accouts exist - are all these people still
contributing?

aghisla, alesarrett, cdavilam, cengel, dr, geognu, gsherman, jrm, ludo,
lutra, micha, musbandishoev, odassau, robert, santini, sholl,
araathan, tbecker, timlinux, yjacolin

if there are any contributor we can delete, please tell me.

b) for GUI translation

The GUI translation files are committed to the QGIS software trunk. Here we
have a different and for good reasons more strict procedure.

=> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Contributor_Guidelines

I remember, all contributors explicitly need to agree to the contributors
guidelines at http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Contributor_Guidelines and send
something like:

######
I've read and I agree to follow all the terms in the QGIS Contributor
Guidelines: http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Contributor_Guidelines

Regards,
 Otto Dassau
#######

to the QGIS development list. And to be honest, I guess, since the svn-docs
repo is also part of the OSGeo infrastructure, we should ask all manual
contributors to agree to it as well. None of the list above has done this so
far, AFAIK.