[Qgis-community-team] How to port USGS's symbology

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Tue Sep 15 06:34:53 EDT 2009

Hi,

The USGS has made available a whole set of graphical symbology for
geological cartography, the final draft is from 2006 and readable here
-> http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/fgdc_gds/

It covers lines, symbols, patterns. You can use them trough *.eps, *.ai
swatches, *.pdf or arcgis template. I've been using them with Adobe
Illustrator and Arcgis 9.3 for geological maps and the result is great
so I would like to port them to Quantum GIS. I've read about Martin's
symbology work on the wiki but haven't found how to do a template.

These graphics are public domain, the USGS's people I've been talking to
are interested by another implementation of this standard (as they said,
they often have inquiries for it but nothing to point to except
Illustrator and ArcGIS).

Regards,
MORREALE Jean Roc