[Qgis-community-team] Questions about translation

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Tue Sep 7 15:00:19 EDT 2010

Am Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:43:44 +0200
schrieb MORREALE Jean Roc <jr.morreale at enoreth.net>:

> Le 26/08/2010 09:29, Otto Dassau a écrit :
> > Am Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:00:56 +0300
> > schrieb Alexander Bruy<alexander.bruy at gmail.com>:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> we start translating QGIS User Guide to Russian. And there is first
> >> question about process.
> >> Some source files may contain text like this
> >>
> >> \index{vector layers!ESRI shapefiles}
> >> \index{shapefiles}
> >> \index{ESRI!shapefiles}
> >> \index{SHP files}
> >>
> >> As I understand, this is entries for index. Should we translate
> >> this entries or leave them in English?
> >> I look at the original English PDF, but can't find any index. Then
> >> I look at the user_guide.tex and find
> >> next comments
> >>
> >> %\input{literature}
> >> %\input{index} untested, remind me to check it when the 1.5
> >> release is flagged
> >
> > yes, seems to be missing. I guess Jean Roc commented the index in
> > the style file when we migrated to pdflatex. If he manages to make
> > them work again, it would of course make sense to translate the
> > Index files to Russian as well.
> >
> > It is not commented, because we don't want to use it anymore. It is
> > just not migrated yet.
> >
> > Regards,
> >   Otto
>
> The index has never been used in previous versions so I didn't pay
> much attention to it and also because the search capabilities of most
> pdf readers make it more or less useless. But as a paper version is
> in work I'll have a look at it, my advice for translation is to setup
> a specific wiki page where each of your contributors can write how he
> exactly translated it (to prevent the multiplication of index items).

The index is now built. I added it to the Makefile, so if you use it,
it will build the PDF with index in trunk. If you use Windows to build
the PDF, you need to create the index file first and then use pdflatex
a couple of times, so the index gets build correctly. Don't know yet,
why it does not build during one build.

procedure is:
pdflatex user_guide.tex
makeindex -cl -o user_guide.ind user_guide.idx
pdflatex user_guide.tex
pdflatex user_guide.tex

maybe we can improve that...

regards,