[Qgis-community-team] new case study: "Using a free GIS at Jaime Moniz Secondary School: Quantum GIS (Madeira, Portugal)"

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 06:02:09 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I'll send the PDF directly to Otto as I guess is too big to be attached
here.

This is the introduction:

"There will be democratic teaching in our schools or education
communities when we generalize the use of Open Source software. This
demands not only a change in people's way of thinking (sometimes molded
by advertising), but also a sustainable management of expenses and,
indirectly, fighting against software piracy. These advantages which are
inherent to the philosophy of the Open Source software will be the model
to follow if we want a quality education without boundaries or
dependencies of any kind.

>From this perspective, class 35 of the 12th grade belonging to the
technological course of territory and environment at Jaime Moniz
Secondary School, uses QGIS to develop activities proposed in
Geographical Information Systems, Applied Information Systems and during
their training period.

Within the range of options of free GIS, there were three underlying
reasons for the choice of Open Source selection: the user friendly
andintuitive approach, supported by online information provided by
forums; the several software plug-ins and the quality of the product in
its final stage."

cheers

-- Giovanni --