[Qgis-community-team] latex and svn conventions for manual

Ramon Andinach custard at westnet.com.au
Thu Apr 21 08:28:39 EDT 2011

On 21/04/2011, at 17:16 , Yves Jacolin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Le jeudi 21 avril 2011 11:13:13, Tim Sutton a écrit :
>>> Manually wrapping at a particular width is pretty annoying to do,
>>> especially if you later end up rearranging a sentence or inserting
>>> several words, and need to move the breaks.
>>>
>>> Perhaps it would be best to put each sentence on a new line?  I think
>>> this should be OK for change tracking, and not be too annoying to work
>>> with.
>>
>> When we started the manual, Gary and I were both using vim, which
>> allows you to rewrap the line with the simple key combination 'gq'. I
>> don't know if other editors can do this - it may be worth taking a
>> look because as Tyler mentioned it greatly helps with managing
>> differences between versions (especially for translators who need to
>> identify 'what changed?'
> I totally agree with this. I am usign Kate which allow this (even enable vim
> shorcut) and gedit allow it also.

For the more adventurous, I've dusted off some old emacs memories for my foray into the manual.
M-q for manually, or you can automate it M-x auto-fill-mode

(I do agree that if I had to do it manually it would be a pain. A new line a sentence would be a good compromise - so long as everyone promises not to write any long sentences in the manner of Dickens.)

-ramon.