[Qgis-community-team] Possible solution for online translations portal

Milena Nowotarska do.milenki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 03:01:13 EST 2011

Hi,

2011/1/18 Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com>:
> Hi Folks
>
> I came across this today while reading the XFCE 4.8 release announcement:
>
> http://www.transifex.net/
>
> It supports Qt ts file and works from our source tree by the looks of things.
>
> http://help.transifex.net/user-guide/formats.html
>
> Pity we cant use if for the manual too, but maybe its worth
> considering as an option for the gui translation effort?

I have tested a lot of translation tools, and as I already said on HF
in Wrocław, the best would be pootle [1] (best means: user friendly,
handy, with translation memory and suggestions) - if it can handle
'ts' files without problems - I have tested 'po' files only.

We, the GRASS Translation Team, are using Transifex for GUI
translation and I cannot say we are extremely happy. Recently they
even released a stable version...
What I find annoying about Transifex is that after the happy online
translation it is sending the *broken* translation file to
translator's mailbox, not giving any reasonable hints how to fix it.
Also without suggestions from already translated strings it is rather
useless because will produce inconsistent GUI.

[1] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/index

Best,
Milena

P.S. I haven't found better GUI translation tool than QtLingiust, not
desktop nor online one :)
P.S.2 OK, maybe Notepad++

--
Milena Nowotarska