[Qgis-community-team] How do I do that on QGIS?

Alister Hood alister.hood at synergine.com
Mon Mar 21 21:00:23 EDT 2011

Hi Ramon,

[mailto:qgis-community-team-
> bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Ramon Andinach
> Sent: Tuesday, 22 March 2011 12:20 a.m.
> To: Qgis-community-team at lists.osgeo.org
> Subject: Re: [Qgis-community-team] How do I do that on QGIS?
>
> Right here goes.
>
> The "How do I do that in QGIS?" is now up on the wiki.
>
> It can be reached from the Users Corner, in the HowTos section
> (http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Users_Corner#HowTos).
>
> It can be reached directly here:
> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/How_do_I_do_that_in_QGIS
>
> My intention was to keep it as a direct section for section equivalent
for the
> "How do I do that in ArcGIS/Manifold?" document, but I can see a
suggestion,
> and it's a good one, so maybe we shouldn't feel constrained by that
too much.
> Thoughts?

Personally I think it would be good to keep the structure in line with
the
ArcGIS/Manifold document so that they can be compared easily.  As well
as
potentially helping users coming from or going to ArcGIS or Manifold,
this
could allow users to easily identify:
1) "classic GIS tasks" that aren't yet included in "How do I do that in
QGIS?", so they can write them up.  (let's build on the work that has
already
been done by others, instead of trying to come up with a new list of
essential GIS tasks)
2) functionality that is available in ArcGIS or Manifold but not (yet)
in
QGIS.  (e.g. for the "sorting tabular data" task, it is not currently
possible in QGIS to sort by multiple columns)

Even if the structure is kept in line with the ArcGIS/Manifold document,
we
can still add additional tasks.  I'd suggest restricting it to similar
"classic GIS tasks", rather than including tutorials for anything and
everything - those would be better in a separate list.
If you'd like, I can add a short paragraph defining "classic GIS tasks"
and
explaining the history of the list, so it is clear what the page is
about
without having to read the ArGIS/Manifold document.

I suggest we:
- add all the tasks from the ArcGIS/Manifold document to the list now,
even
though we haven't written them up for QGIS
- indicate whether each task was included in the ArcGIS/Manifold
document.
One way of doing this would be to use a table format and have a column
for it.
- when writing up tasks, indicate "missing" functionality (see (2)
above)

Regards,
Alister