[Qgis-community-team] Links to help people find QGIS blogs etc.

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Thu Jan 12 16:40:09 EST 2012

Hi Alister

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Alister Hood
<alister.hood at synergine.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> There are a lot of people sharing all sorts of information about QGIS
> (tutorials, news, tips etc) via blogs, social networking pages (e.g.
> https://plus.google.com/109126324126544815949) and other forums.
>
> It would be nice to list somewhere as many of these sources as possible, to
> help people find them - a new user looking at the website would be unaware
> that any of this exists.

Yes it would be good.

> There is already a “QGIS planet” to list blogs.  But:
>
> -       I can’t seem to see any links to it from the main site.  Could a
> link to it be added to the main page under community, or at the top, with
> “Wiki|Forum|Bugs|Shop”?*

There used to be one - these things come and go over time as different
discussions ('lets be minimal' or 'lets be the kitchen sink') take
place over time.

> -       There are actually two planets, with slightly different blog rolls.
>  (Am I correct in assuming http://plugins.qgis.org/planet/ is obsolete,
> replaced by http://qgis.org/planet/?  Would it be possible for the two pages
> to include links to each other?).

Yes one will be obsoleted at some point.

> For sources other than blogs (like the google plus page and the
> stackexchange forum), would it be possible to provide links somewhere –
> maybe under community, or in the side pane at the planet?

Yes that would be good.

> Or would it be better to keep them on a wiki page, so descriptions can be
> included, and it is easier for people to add links?

Also a nice option.

> Or is someone already working on this?

I would suggest approaching Werner and lay out your ideas and work
with him to improve the organisation of materials. Or even
volunteering to take on some of the work if possible - Werner is
probably getting a bit overloaded doing release assistant work,
translation management, web site maintentance etc...

Regards

Tim

> Regards,
>
> Alister
>

> * By the way, one of my pet annoyances is web sites with multiple menus like
> this (The NZ government is possibly the worst offender).
>
> Does it really make sense to have the wiki and the forum only available in
> the menu at the top, but the mailing lists only available in the menu at the
> left?

 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net