[Qgis-community-team] translating docs

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Fri Nov 23 08:07:13 PST 2012

Hi All,

we had a little docs hangout this morning.

What we still have to do:
- fix current occuring git conflicts (something with dates and guid in
the po(t) files after creating pot files again)
- fix pootle, partly because of the point above, the running of the
pre/post_translate scripts conflicts with the pootle way of working
- better templates for both docs and website

While the infrastructure is still in flux, and pootle is not fixed yet,
I would say: people can start translating \o/
The points we have to do should go in parallel with all the translating.

At this moment we start with the po route (and not use pootle untill we
fixed the git update issue). Another argument to just start with po
files is that for a language maintainer it is easier to just sent a set
of po files to some translators, so we can translate big chunks in
parallel. While after a while pootle is ideal to make/fix little parts.

So maintainers: please let people pick one of the po files from

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/tree/master/i18n

use a tool like Linguist, Kbabel or other gui's to translate the po
files, and either sent them back to either Werner, Otto or me OR commit
yourself if you can.
(another option: a maintainer forks the git repo, and does pull requests)

if your language is missing AND you are willing to translate, please
contact either your language maintainer or let us know via the list,
then we can add your language to the list of languages.

So to be clear: we want (at least be able) to get pootle process also
working again. But at this moment it is easier (for us) to start of with
working via po files.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

ps: to see it is working Python Cookbook in russian:
http://documentation.qgis.org/html/ru/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/index.html