[Qgis-community-team] Translations of the website

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Sat Aug 10 12:38:33 PDT 2013

On 10-08-13 11:50, Werner Macho wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Most work on the webpage is now done by Richard.
>
> I also like the style of the inasafe page but there are a lot of
> "tricks" inside inasafe and it would be good to stick to plain bootstrap
> as much as possible to minimize the maintaining effort.
>
> But I also agree that the landing page should be minimized to it's
> basics (not more than 3 blocks) .. with currently 9 blocks it's far too
> much ..
>
> I believe we can combine that and put it into a "subpage"..
> We already had a nice overview done in Valmiera together with Raymond..
> I think that is still the way to go ..

I'm with Werner. Please stay as much to plain Sphinx and Bootstrap as
possible. In that way we keep stuff easily translatable.

A few weeks/months(?) ago I created a newer frontpage, based on some
comments from people here on the list:

http://docs.qgis.org/2.0/playground/en/index.html

At that time, people asked to remove the menu (which indeed are at this
moment not translatable because they are part of the layout templates).
In that version I used some javascript and some
rest-structure-conventions to create the 3 blocks you see there.

While I like the inasafe template/theme, I'm personally in favor of the
clean Sphinx/Bootstrap only version...
It maybe takes some extra time to create the structure but after that it
is really easy translatable via the normal tool chain.

If the majority wants to have menu's or the inasafe theme, we have to do
some work to translate the templates make the buildscripts aware of the
translated templates.

Regards,

Richard