[Qgis-community-team] Guidance on Training Manual Tasks

George Irwin george at linfiniti.com
Mon Dec 16 21:33:28 PST 2013

Morning Jeff,

I saw Tim’s email to you last night - I’m almost half way through the first pass of the manual.

Basically what I’m doing is translating the instructions which exist to 2.0, incorporating a new dataset from OSM (with the option for end-users to replace the course data with their own localised data via the built-in QGIS tools) and updating and renaming the screen grabs. Ideally, all the screenshots should be on the same platform (for visual consistency) and it would make sense for the data shown in the screen grabs to be the new sample data with the same symbology throughout. And wherever possible, we can use the icons defined in the repo’s conf file.

The result is that I think it would be best if I continue to update the screenshots, simply to maintain consistency. However, it would be great if you could pick a module and update the text for 2.0 - anything after module 6. It might also be an idea to go through the new “preparing data” section in the introduction to make sure what I’ve described makes sense! At this stage, we’re not prioritising adding instructions for new features, but if you come across any glaring 2.0 omissions which could be incorporated into the workflow, please do add them.

Please note that I’ve still got some tidying up to do of the first 6 chapters - through my own error, the new OSM data set was introduced after I’d been through those chapters, so I’m currently re-updating screenshots and references to the old data sets.

I’ll be around on IRC if I can be of any help, but thank you very much for helping out!

Yours,

George