[Qgis-community-team] layout fixes and new frontpage

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Fri May 24 14:10:26 PDT 2013

Hi all,

short story:

I've created a newfrontpage branch in my personal fork:

https://github.com/rduivenvoorde/QGIS-Documentation/tree/newfrontpage

There is a demo build to see here:

http://www.duif.net/qgis/doc/output/2.0/html/en/

and a frontpage translation of that here:

http://www.duif.net/qgis/doc/output/2.0/html/nl/

Is it ok enough to replace current frontpage?

/end of short story

longer version:

I do realize myself that it is not 'spiffy', I'm not a designer...

But my main goals for this were:

- stay as close to bootstrap as possible (so a real bootstrapper should
be able to restyle it) I rolled back some changes I did on the original
bootstrap styling for this, these came not out very well anyway.

- keep sources in rst files and layout in sphinx layout files, to not
change our current tool chain (had some troubles do find out you cannot
use 'html_additional_pages' for that
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/sphinx-dev/IH8btG555Ig )

- to force the rst generated html into bootstrap jquery/javascript is
used (see
https://github.com/rduivenvoorde/QGIS-Documentation/blob/newfrontpage/themes/qgis-theme/layout.html#L123
)

- keep stuff 100% responsive (one source readable on phones, tablets etc
etc)

Other points to know:

- I think I found a css 'hack' which hopefully fixes the annoying fact
that clicking a anchor link will NOT show that anchor because it in
beneath the menu (see qgis.css). There are still some tweaks needed. The
clue is that is playing with some negative margins, so sometimes margins
show up were we do not want them...

- The frontpage is generated from index.rst, in two blocks: the sections
for the 'carousel' in top, and the sections for the 'marketing' block
below that.
The structure for all these blocks are very strict. We really need to
add/change some texts, but please be carefull with the structure!

- we can reuse this frontpage layout for other 'frontpages'. The idea
for the 'community' and 'development' menu items was to have
landingpages for those (with pointers to all subsequent internal or
external parts)

Feel free to share your thought about it.

Myself I think the frontpage is a little dull, but very functional as
is. We must put some better stuff in the carousel en update some of the
blocks of info (or add more), of add some images?

Maybe also add a block in top or between carousel and infoblock to give
every language some space to tell something specific for your locale.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde