[Qgis-community-team] sync Tx manual issue

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Sun Nov 3 21:55:11 PST 2013

On 02-11-13 18:23, matteo wrote:
> Hi guys,
> during the translation I notice something weird: some strings that are
> translated in Tx (actually that have already been translated for manual
> 1.8) are not translated in the manual 2.0.
> Someone has an explanation for that?
>
> e.g.
> http://www.qgis.org/it/docs/user_manual/plugins/plugins_georeferencer.html#usual-procedure
> (some paragraph is not translated in Italian) but they are translated in
> Transifex (I don't know if you can see it here
> <https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/qgis-documentation/translate/#it/docs_user-manual_plugins_plugins-georeferencer/18022968?q=the%20first>).

Hi Mattea,

I did have a look into this specific case.

But I think the short answer to your question is that the SOURCE-strings
in Transifex are not uptodate as they could be, due to the fact that we
are already translating in the master branch (which is a little in
flux). After the branch this problem will be smaller.

The long aswer:

The source-string is actually the 'key' for the building stuff to find a
certain translation. So if the building stuff does not see the 'key' (==
the exact source file string) in the translated strings (the po file)
then it will not extract the translated string from it.

In the case of transifex the english .po files are actually the
SOURCE/pot files for all translations. So only if the english transifex
po files are regenerated (with 'make pretranslate') AND uploaded to
transifex (via 'tx push -s) the keys are up to date.
As you can see here:
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/qgis-documentation/language/en/ at
the line of docs_user-manual_plugins_plugins-georeferencer apparently
the last update of that source file was the 6th of october.

Because the documentation are at this moment still very much changing
(we are very near the 2.0 branch of Documentation), the texts (and so
the keys) are still a little in flux.

So while we could (and I will) fix your problem by regenerating the
keys/sources and push them to transifex, it is also the result of us
translating already in the master branch (in future we will probably
never do this, or only in the timeframe between the release of QGIS and
the release of QGIS documentation of that release.
After the branch of 2.0 this problem will be much smaller.

Below OLD and NEW) the git diff after 'make pretranslate'

OLD: (removed from translation strings)
-"The first step is to start QGIS, load the Georeferencer Plugin (see
Section "
-":ref:`load_core_plugin`) and click on the |mGeorefRun|
:sup:`Georeferencer` "
-"icon which appears in the QGIS toolbar menu. The Georeferencer Plugin
dialog"
-" appears as shown in figure_georeferencer_1_."

NEW: (should be in transifex)
+"The first step is to start |qg|, load the Georeferencer Plugin (see
+":ref:`load_core_plugin`) and click on the |mGeorefRun|
:sup:`Georeferencer` "
+"icon which appears in the |qg| toolbar menu. The Georeferencer Plugin
dialog"
+" appears as shown in figure_georeferencer_1_."

CURRENTLY in transifex (as you can see this is the same as 'OLD' above)

The first step is to start QGIS, load the Georeferencer Plugin (see Section
:ref:`load_core_plugin`) and click on the |mGeorefRun| :sup:`Georeferencer`
icon which appears in the QGIS toolbar menu. The Georeferencer Plugin
dialog appears as shown in figure_georeferencer_1_.

I will update the source strings today, and please keep checking after
our doc branch :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde