[Qgis-community-team] QGIS Training Manual 2.0

George Irwin george at linfiniti.com
Mon Nov 25 02:19:26 PST 2013

Good morning all,

Quick introduction: I’ve just started working with Tim Sutton at Linfiniti (although we’ve been working together on other projects on and off for a couple of years). I’m new to QGIS and all things GIS, but very much looking forward to getting involved and contributing what I can!

My first task is to start work on porting the QGIS Training Manual to QGIS 2.0. Tim has filled me in on the broad requirements which make up that goal and this, very loosely, is what I’m setting out to achieve:

1. Collaborate with everyone who would like to be involved or has suggestions/recommendations/expectations for the manual.
2. Make the collaboration/sharing process a little easier by creating fabric scripts to deploy the Manual/Sphinx/latex etc in a Vagrant box.
3. Implement generic datasets (OSM and Natural Earth) with the ability (via scripts/tasks) for end-users to easily import localised cadastrals.
4. Organise, rename, and make pretty the screen grabs (more attractive maps, consistent GUI layout etc).
5. Check, clean and update the sample data as necessary.
6. Look at the license with regard to academic institutions and update as necessary.
7. Match QGIS.org styling and formatting conventions with the intention of embedding the manual in QGIS.org (not Linfiniti, as at present).
8. Look at creating an interface to allow end-users to generate custom manuals aimed at specific training sessions (i.e. to include specific chapters/data etc).

I’m very aware that I have limited experience with QGIS itself and the community, so please do send me your thoughts/corrections/requirements on any of the above or anything which you think should be included! Renaming of the screen-grabs will certainly require input - if nothing else - especially when it comes to localisations…..

As an aside, I plan to work in a branch of the repository on github, with nightly builds pushed to an accessible server - advice on this front also welcome!

Looking forward to hearing from you

George

George Irwin
Project and Client Manager