[Qgis-community-team] Website and manuals

Otto Dassau dassau at gbd-consult.de
Wed Oct 2 00:43:03 PDT 2013

Hi,

Am Wed, 02 Oct 2013 08:36:15 +0200
schrieb Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>:

> On 02-10-13 06:27, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>
> > * The website seems not to switch to the user-agent language: if
> > so, this should be implemented (easy with Apache rewrite).
>
> There is an issue for that:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/issues/101
>
> But I think it is better to do it clientside, so website will remember
> when somebody who chosen to read the docs in another language:
>
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/issues/33
>
> Both are on my todo list :-)
>
> > * The manual for 2.0 seems completely untranslated, even if many
> > strings are unchanged from 1.8, and AFAIK they should be reused as
> > such: any problem in doing so? A partly translated manual would be
> > much more encouraging, especially for newcomers.
>
> Translation of the manual has the following process (Ott, plz correct
> me if my wording is wrong):
>
> - - manual is never translated in master only in the
> 'translation/release-branches'

yes - this is important, otherwise translations get mixed

> - - a 'translation-branch' is created when the docs-team feels that the
> documentation is up to date enought with the release (otherwise all
> edits must be done both in master and in 2.0 branch).

yes

> - - after branching we copy all .po files from 1.8 to 2.0 tree, so most
> of the unchanged strings will be ok.

yes

> Otto thought we would need a few weeks before branching 2.0 docs.

yes, I hope we manage to finish updates by end of October, but the
documentation team is only small ... so if there are more people to join, it
would be helpfull, of course.

> We could already copy .po files I think to master (as long as we
> remove them from master after the branch, AND nobody keeps translating
> them currently). After copying current docs IN the QGIS-Website will
> partially translated.

if you feel this is necessary - ok

> My plan is to upload 2.0 branch (after branching) to transifex, and
> further model the docs-build to the website build.

sounds good.

Thanks a lot Richard