[Qgis-community-team] manual in pdf

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 02:29:20 PDT 2013

Hi Richard,

2013/10/12 Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>:
> But I cannot get platex get to generate pdf there. It stops with some of
> these errors:
>
> Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:�^^80^^8b not set up for use
> with La
> TeX.
>
> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `JY1/gt/bx/it' undefined
> (Font)              using `JY1/gt/bx/n' instead on input line 120.
>
> ! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:リ� not set up for use with
> LaTeX.
>
> See the inputenc package documentation for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.120 \tableofcontents
>
> I tried to install japanese fonts, but that did not help. Google seems
> to think my latex is just too old???

> I uploaded the ja and ru generated on my laptop ere:
> http://docs.qgis.org/testing/pdf/QGIS-testing-UserGuide-ru.pdf

I've checked this pdf for Russian. Unfortunatelly, it looks very bad,
images are too small, all Russian text used monospace font and
as I can see distance between letters and words is the same.

I tried to build PDF for version 1.8 on my laptop (Slackware64 14.0,
texlive-20120701, sphinx installed in virtualenv as recommended in
README) and it looks much better. But I can't build PDF from
master branch, as

make pdf LANG=ru

failed with message

mkdir -p output/pdf/ru
# need to build 3x to have proper toc and index
# currently texi2pdf has bad exit status. Please ignore errors!!
# prepending the texi2pdf command with - keeps make going instead of quitting
# japanese and russion have problems, when build with texi2pdf
# as alternative we can use platex
# on Debian available in package 'texlive-lang-cjk'
find: paths must precede expression: platex
Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [-Olevel] [-D
help|tree|search|stat|rates|opt|exec] [path...] [expression]
This is e-pTeX, Version 3.1415926-p3.3-110825-2.4 (utf8.euc) (TeX Live
2012TeX Live 2012/Slackware (rworkman))
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
! Unable to read an entire line---bufsize=200000.
Please increase buf_size in texmf.cnf.
QGISUserGuide.dvi -> QGISUserGuide.pdf
DVI ID = 112

** ERROR ** Something is wrong. Are you sure this is a DVI file?

Output file removed.
make: [pdf] Error 1 (ignored)
mv output/latex/ru/QGISUserGuide.pdf output/pdf/ru/QGIS-testing-UserGuide.pdf
mv: cannot stat 'output/latex/ru/QGISUserGuide.pdf': No such file or directory
make: *** [pdf] Error 1

--
Alexander Bruy