[Qgis-community-team] User Manual figures sizes in PDF and website

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Mon Oct 28 04:24:07 PDT 2013

On 28-10-13 09:37, Otto Dassau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I agree and it would be nice to have the figures in an adequate size for
> both web and pdf. But I don't know the best way how to reach this. Maybe
> start with the PDF, optimize there in pixel and then use it for web the
> same way? Is there somebody who already has experience with this problem?

Hi Otto, Alexandre,

not sure about the pdf's, but I mentioned earlier that all images in the
website have a size of 30em (or 40em). Then when you click on them they
open in the same window, and resize to their 'natural/native' size. You
have to go back to come into the docs again.

Have a look at:
http://www.qgis.org/en/docs/user_manual/introduction/general_tools.html#form-annotations

the image in rst:

.. figure:: /static/user_manual/introduction/custom_annotation.png
    :align: center
    :width: 30em

In html this becomes a clickable img tag with style="width:30em;"

The image itself is 571x470 pixels, so removing the style (in firebug)
will show it in it's native size, and in the bootstrap size it says:
max-width:100% so the image will always 'fit' in html anyway.

I'm not sure what the implications are for the pdf, if we remove this sizes.
Well, I tried now with the 'general_tools.rst' and then creating a pdf
from it. It does not look well either: some images are ok, now but
others are still too big (== unsharp).
You can download two pdf's here: http://www.duif.net/test.zip
Have a look at chapter 8, there I removed all :width: 30em lines. As you
can see then you have all kinds of image size.

So my bed would be: make it look good in pdf first (without special size
constraints in the rst). If the images are not too big, they will then
show up at their native image size in the html anyway. (or resized to
100% of the data column by bootstrap), AND still clickable to see them
in the native size anyway.

But: you can also claim that all the (smaller) images of 30em make the
html and pdf look good and neat, because all images are the same size.

Regards,

Richard