[Qgis-community-team] website and doc(websiteS)

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Sat Sep 7 12:48:57 PDT 2013

Hi,

as the website layout etc is going further and further, I start thinking
about merging (or merging back) the documentation websites in this same
tree (sphinx project).

It would be nice if somebody familiar with this concepts would
brainstorm with me about this.

Some background:

The (older) doc site source tree:

source
	website
	docs
	conf.py

Current website source tree:

source
	website
		conf.py

Where I try to make a descision about, is if I should create a tree like
the older doc website (by pulling conf.py one level lower, and just copy
the docs dir from the old site into it and merge the conf.py's

OR (as Tim tried to explain to me I think), we should opt for several
sphinx projects (with one global toc, one search and interproject links???)

Some thoughts:
- I want preferably have just one site, with one global toc
- the search should search ALL sites (I think)
- we should be able to 'version' some of the documentation-docs (manual
and python cookbook at least)
- maybe we want to reference from one project to another (eg, from the
website to both the 1.8 and the 2.0 manual

So I wonder if this is possible:

source
	conf.py
	website
		(conf.py?)
	docs1.8
		conf.py (because these hold a the image replacers)
	docs2.0
		conf.py (because these hold a the image replacers)

OR

source
	conf.py
	website
	docs
		manual1.8
			conf.py
		manual2.0
			conf.py
		cookbook1.8
			conf.py
		cookboob2.0
			conf.py
		governmant docs
			(conf.py? or can it use another one)

I don not have time/energy to test all these, so it would be nice if
somebody stood up, with either some experience with this, or someone who
wants to try this out. Or someone with a better/easier idea :-)

Or should I just wait with all this...

Regards,

Richard