[Qgis-community-team] use of 'abbreviation' in documentation

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Mon Apr 14 06:17:08 PDT 2014

Hi Otto, Larissa,

(writing to you as I think you are most into this...)

Currently most doc writers use the 'abbrevation' scheme to insert images
into documentation.

That is, they add an abbrevation in the rst_epilog property:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/blob/master/source/conf.py#L193
and then use that abbreviation in the rst source of the docs.

BUT: this list of 'replacements/abbreviations' is getting longer and
longer, and it seems to me that it slows down the build. Another point
is that the conf file is getting bigger and bigger, with replacements
for images which are maybe used once or twice in the whole documentation
(like most mAction*** images).

So my question:
- is there another reason to do this the way we do it now? I could think
of for example that it is needed for the Latex output, or maybe because
of the reference linking or so??

If not: should we try to use the abbrev ONLY for those image which
really are being used >3 times throughout the docs or website? Or images
we are being reused over different websites (like docs and website).

Comments?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde