[Qgis-community-team] road map of QGIS

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Oct 31 03:07:56 PDT 2014

Hi,

There is no central roadmap available. QGIS is customer demand driven.
It means it will get the features that customers demand (and pay for -
or develop themselves).

The Swiss QGIS user group maintains a list of upcoming improvements (for
the next 1-2 releases). These are things the Swiss QGIS users are
willing to pay for. Other than that, QGIS companies in other countries
have plans.

There is a new mechanism - called QEP (QGIS enhancements process) -
which is supposed to be used for larger changes. You can see some of
them at https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/pulls

Are you looking into something specific? Could you list what you are
interested in and we can tell you whether some work is going on in this
direction.

I can list some of the enhancements, we in Switzerland are interested in:

* Curve (circular arc) support - both in QGIS and OGR
* Report builder in print composer
* SQL expression compiler (for serverside filtering - currently
everything is filtered in QGIS, which is not very performant)
* better relations support (n:m) and the corresponding forms/widgets
* General forms/widget improvements
* aggregate functions
* Chart support in print composer
* DXF export improvements
* DXF import improvements
* better CAD/digitizing tools
* QGIS on Android for field work
* Text/symbol masking support
* Better GPS import (with table/column mapping for target datasets)
* QGIS server improvements (e.g. support for serial/atlas printing)

Not all of the above is already financed - we are still looking for funders.

Hope this helps a bit. Let us know your needs and we can tell you
whether there is already work in this area.

Andreas